28 December, 2013

Improving Your Energy Levels


Improving your energy levels in one evening might sound far-fetched, but it is definitely possible. Why am I so sure? I have done it myself!
Several years ago, I had very low energy levels. I mean, I was easily sleeping 12 to 13 hours per day! On top of that, I also had a bunch of health issues going on. Overall, things in my body were just not good.
[Read: Recipe for Health.]
Around this time, I decided to go back to school to study holistic nutrition. Essentially, when I started school, I was a disaster, health-wise.

 One day I asked my professors, "Do you think the foods that I've been eating are the cause of all my health issues and low energy levels?" The consensus was the same: "Most likely. We see it every single day."
To say I was intrigued would be an understatement!
Over the next few months of school, I was introduced to the power of raw foods, the idea of maintaining a slightly alkaline bloodstream, natural nutrition and just overall healthy eating. I slowly began implementing these things into my life.
[Read: Best Diets for Healthy Eating.]
I eventually made the decision to go completely raw vegan for approximately five months, and I can't begin to explain how much better I felt! I noticed a significant improvement in my energy levels after just one day of eating this way!
I am telling you – I woke up in the morning and felt like a new person! And today, I am going to tell you three things you can do to improve your energy levels in just one night!
1. Get rid of all the crap food in your house! I went through every nook and cranny of my house and got rid of all wheat, dairy and anything processed. During the five months of my raw, vegan diet, I avoided gluten, anything cooked and anything processed.
[Read: The Myth of Healthy Processed Food.]
All of that stuff will drain your energy. So what should you focus on instead?
Instead of eating energy-draining foods, eat raw, fresh, real foods – the kind that grow out of the earth. Just to be clear, I'm not a raw foodist, and I have never been a pure raw vegan, except for that one period of time. I do, however, believe the more raw foods you eat, the better your energy levels will be.
Eating more raw fruits and veggies is good for your body on so many levels. It also improves all aspects of your health. If you do this, I guarantee you are going to feel amazing.
2. Add more raw, leafy green veggies to your diet. I really believe this is the key to improving your energy in one night. This made a tremendous difference for me and is something I still do today.
Every single day, I make a green smoothie or a green juice. It's very simple. And there are literally hundreds of recipes to choose from online.
[See: Green Smoothies 101: Health Benefits and Recipes.]
Drinking a green smoothie or juice in the morning is a great way to start your day. You can also have your greens later in the day with a nice salad if you want. Either way, I am telling you it will make a huge difference in your energy levels.
The main reason leafy greens are so powerful is because they can alkalize your bloodstream. When your blood is slightly alkaline, your red blood cells are better able to deliver oxygen throughout your bloodstream. Oxygen is essential for high energy levels.
The fact is, when your blood is slightly alkaline, you feel great! When your bloodstream is acidic, it means you are eating too many animal products, too many grains and/or too much sugar. When your bloodstream is too acidic, you generally feel like crap.
3. Get more sleep. I am sure you have heard the old Benjamin Franklin quote, "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." In my opinion, old Ben couldn't have been more right!
[Read: How and Why to Become a Morning Person.]
One of the things I started doing was going to bed earlier and waking up earlier. The exact times are something I played with as the months went along, but for me, I found going to bed at 10:30 p.m. and waking up at 6 a.m. worked best.
Another thing I do is try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Yes … even on the weekends! When you do this, you'll have more consistent energy levels throughout the day. You just have to make a habit out of doing it seven days a week.
After you have done this for a while, it will happen automatically. You won't even need an alarm clock anymore!
[See: The Best Foods for Sleep.]
Recap:
To enhance your energy levels in just one evening, all you have to do is:
1. Eat more raw foods (and get rid of all the junk!);
2. Eat more leafy green veggies; and
3. Get more sleep (and go to bed and wake up at the same time every day).
If you do these three things today, I guarantee you will feel more energetic tomorrow. If you don't, you can let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...